Saturday, October 20, 2007

5 miles to freedom!

Can a month possibly be longer than a year? Logically no, a year is 365 days and a month is 30, 31 or 28. I could break it down to hours and minutes and seconds but I'm lazy and I really don't want to know. You guys can but feel free to keep it to yourselves. But time is a moving thing and as with all motion velocity has to be relative to something, and I guess that relativity is me.

Time is something I don't think about until I have a goal. Three years ago as I was getting out of basic they were telling me that Id be deployed within 3 months. I thought "Cool, I have a bunch of new skills lets put em to work, see how they hold up." a Year and a half passes and I link up once again with my oldest friend and fall back into love, putting a whole new perspective in my now upside down life. That was about the time we'd gotten our orders for Iraq. "Within the year we will be in Iraq men, prepare." Suddenly I wasn't too keen on the idea.

I found myself diving out of my work clothes to do everything I could with my Myna. She was mine and I wanted to make sure her roots were firmly planted in mina-soil afore I left off to the world unknown. A year just didn't seem long enough for any of the things I wanted for her and myself. The physical distance between us was a hamper that would stop all the the determined mina from getting at their mynas and Id be damned if I wasn't a determined mina. We flew her up and I made sure to send her back wanting more. Shes a slippery critter but when I apply myself I find theres very little I cant accomplish. All the while the time was ticking away and I could almost see her mina tanks emptying themselves of the mina-love all over the floor of her Colorado Springs house. Thats a very terrifying feeling to have when you are in that position.

I decided I was going to fill the tanks to the brim right before I stepped onto the bird. We did everything she'd ben telling me shed been wanting to do up to that point. We hit the movies, went to the glass museum, Hit up the Japanese gardens and did a whole bunch of other stuff including one very disappointing trip to the Seattle Aquarium.

Then, It was deployment time. we drove to the barracks and got out and said goodbye. Then I hugged her and went to say good bye to my momma. Then I did one of the hardest things Ive ever had to do. I walked away from my life. I looked back once. I teared up. But I didn't go back and try to make it all easier. Its one of the few times in my life I really just wanted to cry, just a balled up on the floor tear fountain. I'm very proud of the fact that I didn't go back, and not in that whole masculine "I'm a hero I don't feel pain" thing but on a personal level. I know that going back would have ruined the nice clean sever we had accomplished. If I'dve gone back there would have been tears and Jenna and my Momma and even I would have it 50 times harder to get through it. But since I didn't go back, and they didn't wait to see me off, we occupied ourselves before the grief could set in.

Now I sit here in the middle of the land that god forgot writing this and thinking about the 6 or 7 months I left here wondering if time always moved this slow or if its just because I cant wait to start living again. I think that 6 months is a very long time, possibly ten times longer than that year I had to get My mynaplant rooted. So, yes a month can be far more than a year, I'm sure of it, especially when you are anticipating repotting your myna into your pot.

Anyways, this Little gardener is off to tend his field, shes 5 miles from talking to me.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Tulip, Evergreen isnt a flower.

Butthead said...

But mynas are evergreen flowers!

Jenna said...

mynas are evergreen and they are purple tulips

Jenna said...

Reading through your blogs is comforting when you are away.

Mauw