Thursday, November 29, 2007

Life at the JCOP and All that Jazz.

Well as you already know Im not around the Fob much anymore and the internet is nonexistant where I usually am so I dont get much of a chance to communicate. I Work alot when Im out in sector but I rarely do anything when Im back in the Fob. My free time now consists of trying to get my radio to work (not that it has too much of a problem it just doesn't wanna work well with other radios), working out, and learning what I can about shooting and general military knowledge. Im now Team leader of my team and thats changed my outlook on patrolling quite a bit. Theres a big difference between following orders on a dismounted patrol and actually having to come up with the correct orders to give. Like theres times when we need to get off the streets to protect ourselves, The selection of the right house or place to occupy and set up security is my job. Its a split second decision that needs to be done right so as to not step on anyones toes or put ourselves in any more danger. I thought My mind was constantly moving as a saw gunner with trying to learn the team leaders job and watching everything while analizing threat levels and primary concern areas but as the team leader I have to do all that (cause you never fully know the teamleaders job) on top of making the right decisions and knowing where all your men are and where they can see or not see and moving them around to best utilize their weapon systems. Oh and I have a gun too so I have to add myself to the equation and report everything Im doing to higher. My first patrol was difficult but im starting to get the hang of it. Im surprised at how much neccessity can drive you to do and or learn.

We have some pretty insane work hours during the assault phase of our rotation and our bodies get worn down. Blisters form on our feet and open sores form on our sides and just above our belt buckles from our 50-90lb vest/weapons rubbing holes in us, WE're sore from our workouts, hungry cause we miss 2 sometimes all three meals in a day because we arent in a place where we can eat so we are left with snacks, and we are tired, but somehow morale seems to be at its highest during our lowest points. Ive yet to figure out the reason, maybe its because we dont have time to think of how bad it sucks or maybe we enjoy the pain, or... Who knows?

But, Dont worry about us because we have other phases in our rotation that give us lots of recovery time. During these Phases we sit in towers guarding the JCOP or Some other place or we are back at the Fob enjoying the DFac and Gym. Actually thats my biggest complaint about the JCOP is that our "gym" consists of a bar and three different weights of plates for it. Theres only so many workouts tat you can do with those but we make due. I have some medicine balls and pushup bars (cause these floors are covered in who knows what). A side note; You know te floors and ground is dirty when an infantryman wont pickup food that hes dropped and eat it regardless of how hungry he is. Theres maybe two people here in the entire company that'll eat food thats touched the floor.

Anyways thats all my time

No comments: